There are several reasons for analyzing the best methods of teeth whitening at home for people of different professions and social status. Someone is interested in economic benefits, while others are attracted by the opportunity to form a presentable image with the help of a snow-white smile.
Causes of tooth enamel darkening
Several factors are known to provoke the appearance of unaesthetic dark plaque on the dental surfaces.
- The presence in the diet of food varieties that contribute to the darkening of the enamel. These include strongly brewed black tea, coffee.
- Smoking habit. It manifests itself in an unpleasant yellowness or brownish bloom. Leads to the fact that the smoker begins to be embarrassed by his smile.
- Lack of hygiene, which consists in irregular cleaning of the teeth. The result is a gradual build-up and hardening of plaque, which changes color to a brownish, yellow or gray tint.
The natural reason for the loss of the former whiteness of the tooth enamel is old age.
In the process of analyzing options and deciding to use folk remedies for teeth whitening, pay attention to the contraindications to such a procedure:
- weak, thinned enamel;
- untreated caries;
- allergy to the recommended whitening product;
- excessive sensitivity of tooth enamel.
Fillings located in places open for review, when whitening with home remedies, will be noticeable against the background of bleached teeth, which will not add aesthetics to the smile.
Home teeth whitening product requires not only strict adherence to the recommendations, but also constant self-monitoring. If signs of increased sensitivity appear, immediately cancel the procedure.
Teeth Whitening Techniques
Opinions about whether or not there is teeth whitening at home without harm to the enamel and the oral cavity differ quite widely.
It depends on the sensitivity of the enamel, the degree of pollution, the presence of diseases of the oral cavity, gums, teeth. Because of these factors, the final effect will be noticeably different even when using one product.
When you start whitening, visit your dentist to treat disease and obtain a qualified approval for the product of your choice:
- Someone will choose mechanical whitening with toothpastes, powders, rinses.
- Someone will like folk methods that use soda, salt, hydrogen peroxide, activated carbon.
- There are also more modern techniques based on the use of special bleaching compounds.
- Connoisseurs of naturalness will take note of the whitening properties of berries and fruits.
Among proven home-use techniques, it's easy to find options that are right for a particular condition.
Whitening pastes, rinses, brushes
In the assortment of ready-made hygiene products, the most popular are varieties designed to whiten tooth enamel.
- Toothpastes with the inclusion of abrasives that promote mechanical plaque removal. Application alternates with carrying out hygiene measures with ordinary paste. Use is discontinued after reaching the predicted result.
- Rinses with the presence of hydrogen peroxide in the structural formula, allowing to lighten the enamel up to two tones. Do not apply for more than 2 weeks.
- Tooth powder from a series of whitening compounds, which is quite aggressive. It is advisable to use it two to three times if you want to quickly get a snow-white smile.
- Special toothbrushes with rubber coating or impregnated with chemical brightening agents. Most often these are calcium carbonate crystals. There are also options for activated carbon brushes. Dental surfaces become noticeably white after several procedures. Please note that these procedures are not intended for long-term and frequent use.
Having reached the expected degree of whitening, toothpastes with fluoride are introduced into the arsenal of hygiene products.
Chemical home teeth whitening
Currently, enamel chemical whitening techniques have become available for home use.
Hydrogen peroxide incorporated into specialized dental gels provides a gradual brightening effect. There are varieties containing carbamide peroxide. These substances in a humid environment enter into a chemical reaction with the release of active oxygen.
The gel is simply applied to all bleached surfaces with a brush. To speed up the process, a tooth whitening lamp based on halogen, LED, and ultraviolet radiation is used. In such a situation, whitening reaches 8 tones.
Mouthguards in self-bleaching
More and more often teeth whitening with gel is carried out using specialized onlays in the form of grooves. These trays are filled with a substance and put on for a certain period of time (30 minutes or more) in accordance with the attached instructions. It takes up to 15 treatments to achieve the desired enamel whiteness.
An easy way of lightening is to stick flexible strips on the teeth, one side of which is coated with a layer of carbamide or hydrogen peroxide.
The basic rule is that the plates should fit evenly and tightly to the surfaces. With a daily procedure, the duration is 5 - 30 minutes.
Tube pencils filled with whitening gel attract with a convenient way of use:
- Rinse teeth.
- Wipe with a napkin.
- Cover with gel.
- Withstand without closing your mouth for 1-10 minutes.
If the instructions indicate that a final rinse is not required, you just have to close your mouth and the procedure is over.
Safety is only guaranteed with the correct use of any of the chemical methods.
Using folk methods
In the popular treasury of recipes, you can find a safe teeth whitening, suitable for each specific case. As a rule, available substances are used.
Using activated carbon teeth whitening, noticeable lightening is achieved, but no more than 2-3 tones. Crushed tablets are used, in which a wet toothbrush is dipped.
It is important to rinse your mouth thoroughly after brushing, making sure that no black pieces of charcoal remain between your teeth.
When practicing teeth whitening with baking soda, the product is applied instead of a paste, placed on a toothbrush. Since baking soda tastes unpleasant, it is more common to put a layer of powder on top of regular toothpaste. Such cleansing procedures are done once a week.
Fine table salt is used as an abrasive agent. The use is identical to the use of baking soda
Some connoisseurs of folk methods prefer to whiten teeth with hydrogen peroxide at home, considering this technique to be the safest. The concentration should be maximum 3%. After soaking a cotton pad with peroxide, the surfaces to be bleached are treated. Then the oral cavity is rinsed.
Tea Tree Oil
Essential oil, the raw material for which is melaleuca (the second name is tea tree), has antiseptic properties.
Able to soften plaque on tooth enamel, which allows for easy whitening:
- Use 2-3 drops of oil placed on a toothpaste applied to the brush during a normal brushing procedure.
- Add the same amount of tea tree oil to a glass of pre-boiled and cooled water. The solution is used as a bleaching rinse aid.
The Neumyvakin technique is popular, following which the enamel quickly acquires a pleasant whiteness. Judging by the reviews, many believe that this is really effective teeth whitening at home, along with a refreshing breath:
- Prepare a pasty mass of soda (half a teaspoon), hydrogen peroxide (10 drops), lemon juice (3 drops).
- Put the composition on a cotton ball.
- Treat dental planes from all sides.
Due to the wound healing properties, the gums are gradually healed simultaneously with teeth whitening.
Any homemade teeth whitening recipe can harm the enamel if it is practiced for a long time. Follow the recommended deadlines.
Delicious bleaching recipes
There are several varieties of berries and fruits that have a beneficial effect on teeth, restoring freshness and whiteness.
Anti-inflammatory and brightening lemon peel helps to get rid of dark deposits. It is enough to wipe the dental planes with the inner side of a piece of peel after the evening hygiene procedure. The duration of the course is 10 days.
Fragrant and tasty strawberries will help whiten teeth:
- Mash until mushy.
- Apply to bleached surfaces.
- Hold for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth.
If the plaque on the teeth is insignificant, apples can cope with the problem:
- Just chew the fruit slowly, spreading the juice over the surfaces.
- Rinse your mouth with boiled warm water (glass) with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
Chewing raw carrots not only removes plaque and whitens teeth, but also strengthens the enamel.
When starting to whiten teeth, practice alternating different techniques to achieve a significant effect and not damage the enamel.
Having achieved the predicted result in the process of teeth whitening, for several days (optimally - for 2 weeks) completely exclude from the menu food that can stain the enamel.
These include saturated juices, coffee, red wine. Do not use:
- strong tea.
It is advisable to quit smoking. In order not to increase the sensitivity of the teeth, they limit fermented milk, fermented, pickled, sour foods.
In order to preserve the achieved whiteness of your teeth for a long time, do your daily morning and evening brushing correctly. The paste is selected with fluoride. Cleaning manipulations last at least 3 minutes. It is considered optimal - 5 minutes. At the same time, the tongue is cleaned as well as the gums with care.
After a meal, it is advisable to rinse your mouth with a mouthwash. Look for a variety with whitening characteristics. If not, you can do with water. It is good for the teeth to end the meal with an apple. Chewing gum is used, but you shouldn't keep it in your mouth for too long. It takes 2 minutes to clean the enamel.
Advisory support from an experienced dentist on the eve of the start of home teeth whitening procedures will allow you to avoid possible mistakes and get a snow-white smile using safe methods.